Not only is this my 100th post, but…
Imagine my surprise and delight when I learned that my blog has received a Libester Award from Samantha and Samuel from the blog, A Couple of Backpackers! It’s a special honor since I really love their blog — it inspires me to set my sites on pilgrimages beyond Santiago in the future!
It’s an award shared within the blogging community to link bloggers with fewer than 500 followers and a way to show encouragement to new bloggers.
Below are my answers to the questions Samuel and Samantha posed plus my questions for 11 bloggers I’ve nominated for this award to answer on their own blogs.
1. Thank the blogger who gives this award, including a link.
2. Answer the 11 questions she/he asks on your own blog.
3. Nominate 11 bloggers with less than 500 followers.
4. Ask these 11 bloggers 11 questions.
5. Let them know you have nominated them.
Samuel and Samantha’s questions for me:
1) Where is your favourite place in the world? Insert a picture if you can!
Breitenbush Hot Springs in the North Cascade mountains of Oregon is a place of refuge and beauty. I’ve been going there for personal retreats for 17 years and call it my sanctuary and spiritual home.
2) If you had a dinner party with 3 famous people from history who would you invite?
Mary Magdalen, Anne Huchison, and Eleanor Roosevelt. I’m not sure we’d all get along, but it would be very interesting!
3) What was your favourite book as a child?
Anne of Green Gables. I loved her imagination and her inability to keep her temper.
4) What is your favourite film and why?
Finding Nemo. It’s a classic pilgrimage story with wonderful messages: Love trumps all, better to go with a friend, don’t let fear rule your life. “Just keep swimming” was one of my mantras on the Camino de Santiago.
5) Where is the furthest place you have travelled?
This is a bit of a tricky question because although I’ve been from Hawaii to Spain (that’s like half the span of the planet), I’ve been to places so remote, I could have been anywhere.
Because of this, I think that the furthest place (and thus the most remote) I’ve ever been to was when I stood on the edge of Inishmore’s 300ft cliff off the coast of Ireland. Okay, technically I crawled to the edge and looked over. I didn’t want to get blown off into the Atlantic!
In some ways, Finisterre in Galicia felt this way to me too.
6) What did you want to be when you grew up?
When I wasn’t drawing sketches of my future shelter for stray cats, I dreamed about being an opera-singing ballerina.
7) Which fictional character would you most like to meet?
Eugenia “Skeeter” Phelan, the main character of the book and movie, The Help.
8) If you could have one superpower what would it be?
I would like to have the power to transform hearts from closed and broken ones, to radiant hearts that are open, loving, and generous.
9) What is your favourite food?
Well, that all depends on the day and which meal it is. 🙂
If I had to choose one absolute favorite food, I’d say ChocoLove’s Orange Peel 55% Dark Chocolate. It is delicious and inspired hilarity.
10) Where is your ultimate travel destination?
Only one! I’d like to visit all of my Camino friends in their home countries: Ireland, Colombia, France, Austria, England, New Zealand, Germany, and California (it’s kind of a country).
11) What is your motto for life?
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”
My nominations for the Liebster Award
- youngadventuress.com (I’m sure she has more than 500 followers, but she’s amazing!)
- aviatrixkim.wordpress.com (and a sincere wish for her to write about her Day 4 on the Camino ❤ )
Questions to answer if you’ve been nominated
1) What is your favorite place on the Camino (or in the world)?
2) What is one person from history you would like to meet?
3) And what would you ask him/her? (in Q2)
4) What are you currently reading?
5) What did you want to be when you grew up?
6) What song is most likely to be stuck in your head?
7) If you had one superpower what would it be?
8) What absolutely HAS to go in your bag when you travel?
9) What’s a lesson that travel has taught you?
10) Where would you like to travel to next?
11) What is your motto for life?
To my readers
If you feel inclined to reply to any of the questions below, feel free to do so in the comments!